Category Archives: Uncategorized

East Ferry Road – The Oldest Road on the Isle of Dogs

Until the arrival of the West India Docks at the start of the 1800s, the Isle of Dogs had few buildings or residents. There were of course the windmills which gave Millwall its name, and a little related industry, but … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

The Isle of Dogs Police Station

By the early 1860s, many streets had been laid out in Cubitt Town, but very little had yet been built. Christ Church, Lord Nelson and Newcastle Arms had opened less than five years earlier, and there were a few houses … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments

The Unexploded Bomb Next to Canary Wharf

The Luftwaffe flew reconnaissance flights over London and the rest of Britain for years before the outbreak of World War II, and had marked targets – such as power stations, docks and gas works – in a set of aerial … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Thames Portrait – From Westminster to Southend

Eileen Arbuthnot (aka Arnot) Robertson (1903-1961) was an English novelist, critic and broadcaster. Among her books was the 1937, “Thames Portrait”, based on a motor-boat trip from Lechdale in Gloucestershire to Southend, in which she tells stories of the places … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 8 Comments

Lenanton’s

Lenanton’s timber firm was one of the longest-existing businesses on the Isle of Dogs. It was founded in 1864 and was still doing business in the 1990s, well after the docks had closed and when most everything else along the … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Hammond House Photo Album

Hammond House was built in 1937-38 on the eastern end of the former Universe Rope Works. Survey of London Hammond House consisted of three linked, four-storey, blocks of flats, built in 1937–8 for Poplar Borough Council and designed by Rees … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments

Outside Christ Church – a Mainly Pictorial History

Christ Church was built during the second half of the 1850s to serve the recently started Cubitt Town development. At the time of its construction, there were only a few houses in the area: along Church Street, which connected Manchester … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 4 Comments