Tag Archives: Newcastle Arms

Hello, Hello, Hello, What’s All This Then?

Compared to other East End dockland areas, the Isle of Dogs had less crime to speak of. That’s not to say there was none, but the conservative and close-knit nature of its people – along with its geographical isolation – to a large … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , | 3 Comments

Waterman’s Arms

What’s in a Name? In the 1870 map below, a public house (P.H.) is shown at the corner of Newcastle St and Wharf Rd. This was the Newcastle Arms, built by William Cubitt as part of his Cubitt Town development, and … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | 11 Comments